Thursday 17 May 2012

White Fox cushion


I've finally finished the White Fox cushion I've been making for, like, EVER!..it seems. But in truth I've been doing things in between. So it's nice to finally have it complete. The journey I made with this cushion began here.


*
A white fox roaming across the winter snows,
Dazzling Jack Frost melting upon his nose.
 Only the polar bears and seals 
understand where he goes
when stalking among the arctic snows.
*


All the material is upcycled - it came from a lovely lace dress of mine in which the zip broke, but the material was far too special to let it go to waste, so I wanted to make something with it that I would love and that is unique. The white satin came from Big Sister's scrap box :)


And here it sits, in my red-heart room upon my chair next to my beloved Angelica...



...with books inspired by ice and snow and wilderness...
I will be embroidering another ditty soon called 'The Thicket Dwellers,' an idea taken from the book I've written of the same name. I won't divulge it to you yet, I'm going to leave you to salivate like a starving wolf; but until then I'll give you a snippet of my story right down at the bottom of this post where I've taken the hoar frost theme from. It might be starting to warm up outside, but I'm still engulfed in snow...

back detail

That won't be for a few weeks yet, however. In the meantime I'm making a cushion for my friend's mum's birthday. My friend is called Emma Candy, and she's as sweet as her name suggests ;) The cushion will have butterflies and dandelion down, and words of course, because I like words the best. Here's another few things I've been working on between cushionry...



...and this, which is the back detail for Little Sister's owl she's making at mo. She's asked me to embroider it, and it's such lovely material that I couldn't resist! So I wrote a micro-ditty called 'Taxidermy,' based on an idea for a short story I want to write, and it goes like this...


*
I found a pellet of bone, 
of mice and of bird.
It grew into an angel.
*


*  *  *
Hoar frost is more brittle and unkind than snow...

'In February, Nature thought that spring had come early, and trustingly allowed her green foliage to stretch itself up unto the strengthening sun, and the mice to be enticed by a deceitful warmth in the air and surface from their burrows below. But weather is fickle and tricksy, and within days a perpetual hoar frost had set in overnight, petrifying the hearts of birds and other small beings, and freezing through the previous year’s unpicked rosehips that had begun to rot on the stems like blossoming blood clots. The New Forest dazzled in the dry white, drawing in many a photographer to the region to capture its supernature and Narnia-esque sentimentality; but otherwise the cold kept people in their homes, and only a solitary track of footprints was seldom seen to break the white.' 
Nina x

2 comments:

  1. The fox poem and pillow are just beautiful, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thank you! I'll have an etsy shop open within the next few months... x xx x

    ReplyDelete