Tuesday 20 September 2011

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece...


...is the name of a book I read recently that I fell in love with, and today this sweet little paperback version came in on the delivery at the bookshop where I work (my world is the bookshop, anyway). It's so adorable, I had to share it with you. Go forth, and buy!! 10 year-old Jamie tells the story about how his family is broken after his older sister Rose died in a terrorist attack, only he was too young to remember. I love his voice - it's incredibly funny at inappropriate moments and ridden with guilt for not being able to care about a sister he barely remembers, and is full of the kinds of things you'd expect real 10 year-old boys to say, like when his family moves to the Lake District, he says of it: 'It's so different here. There are massive mountains that are tall enough to poke God up the bum...' Most of all I like how he adores his older sister, Jasmine - Rose's twin - and sees how it is she who keeps the family from breaking apart, even though she reminds their father of her dead sister. 
Here's a snippet:

 - Nina x

No comments:

Post a Comment