Tuesday 19 July 2011

Bagpuss, roe deer and ectopic heartbeats

You know when you’re meant to go shopping for ‘important things’ and you get easily distracted by something less important but far more interesting? Well, that’s how Bagpuss happened into my life.

Since flying the coop I’ve been focusing on the necessities – washing up liquid, a new bin, water filters, food that isn’t quite so yum but keeps you alive – that a distraction was bound to occur, especially after having spent all of this month’s wages on a new bed and secondhand furniture, and cans of paint so that my room is now so red I feel as though I’m living inside the right atrium of a heart. Or at least that’s what the fumes led me to believe. Anyway. Enter Bagpuss. Actually, firstly I’m walking through the Sovereign Centre on my way to Wilko, when I slow down to take in the window display at Naomi House. And there, on the wall, is the sweetest sketch of a roe deer among stray branches. So without hesitating I go inside and browse first (I’m not likely to step into a charity shop with one thing in mind, and not browse. 

These places are where all my money goes.) and then out peeps Bagpuss, off the top shelf, and I almost pull a muscle in my neck reaching up for him (much to the delight of an elderly gent who comments to his wife something along the lines of not since his baby granddaughter has he seen someone reach out for a cuddly toy with so much conviction as I did just then. Amusing.) There were many aawwwws at the counter when I arrived with the scruffy mog, followed by a volunteer sharing a tale with me about her dead Siamese who used to hiss at the door whenever someone would ring the bell; and just in case I didn’t quite get what cats do when they hiss, she demonstrated with her own very frenzied hiss. Scary. So I fled with Bagpuss and the roe deer, who now have homes on a cushion and on the wall of my atrium respectively, safe from the crazed hissing lady. Bagpuss meows every now and again, which initially kick-started my ectopic heartbeats again seeing as no-one was near to give him a squeeze, but I’m used to it now. Unfortunately the battery must be old, as he sounds like he’s drowning, but he looks happy enough. N

No comments:

Post a Comment