Sunday 24 July 2011

Lullaby...

My quiet buffalo whispers a silent song,
seeing that in my eyes something's wrong.
His horns hold my head up to the sky
as he mouths me a sad lullaby.


Persephone, she loves the moon,
she rattles her tongue like a silver spoon.
Her mother-bear softly kisses her eyes
and sings her a sweet lullaby.


I've died of a chrysalis wedged within my throat
and my body's wrapped up and burns in a boat
that drifts on the backs of butterflies
whose wings hum me a soft lullaby.

(it's really REALLY scary putting stuff like this up!) this ditty was loosely inspired by Bat for Lashes song Moon and Moon, and Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. Because of the anthropomorphic bears, really. I thought it up on my walk to work, which gives me enough time for my thoughts to wander, but not enough time to come up with something long, or like a proper poem. But I don't care; I like things that rhyme. It's simple, and it makes you feel happy to hear it. So when I've thought of a few lines I repeat it over and over in my head so I don't forget, then I type it in a text and save it to my phone. There are MILLIONS of um saved on my phone. (I can't text and walk. I bump into things or step in dogshit.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there my beauties, loving the poem Neenski seemingly so dark and mysterious! and great butterfly photos as ever Special J. Keep up the good work ladies, very talented you are and proud I am!

    ReplyDelete