Monday 2 January 2012

2012 is going to be a goodun...


Happy New Year!!!
So far, two days in, it's been good. I got this lovely calendar made by Santoro that I adore, so I've decided to share each picture with you at the start of each corresponding month - or at least try to remember to. 


 Katie and I spent her birthday (Dec 31st) in Hobbycraft (yeah!) where I spent a small fortune on embroidery thread, lace trimmings and embroidery hoops of various shapes and sizes; then met our folks in Haskins (my mum is green-fingered, though there are far more restaurant chairs and tables than there are plants and flowers there) where we ate cake. I have it in mind that this year I will use the hoops as frames I bought for my embroidery which will include the little ditties and poetry that I occasionally post here. I've just started making one called 'Lily' which I will show you when it's finished.


 I plan to do a few of these as well as more cushions with poetry and embroidery like 'Babbit the Moon Baby' suitable for children and grown-ups and older children who refuse to grow up or the child trapped within a grown-up's body, and so forth...I'm also thinking about making bookmarks and portraits. Nick Cave and Katiejane Garside are a few I have in mind. And some combined projects with Katie. I have so many plans for this year - they're pouring out of my ears! I'm aiming to make between 8-10 pieces by midsummer so that I can open an online shop on Etsy if they work out well; and also have an idea to start a second-hand thrift store through Ebay to sell some clothes of mine as I have way too many that won't fit within my red-heart atrium room. So if you like it here on our cloud please keep hanging out, as we're only just getting started :)


As today was a fine day, and the last of a brief holiday over New Year's, I took my new bike Gertie (I loathe the naming of vehicles, but once I had her I couldn't help it. She has such a personality; and anyway it keeps the memory of my pa's auntie alive, for that was her name) out for her maiden voyage along the promenade at Boscombe Pier with my good friends Fiona and Paddy.


 Below is said bike, a beautiful vintage ladies bike that my lovely boyfriend bought me for Christmas from Clobber (http://vintage-clobber.blogspot.com/). She's a great ride ;)


I got some lovely gifts from friends and family: some memorable ones being the owl that Katie made me (as pictured below); a sewing book from my dear friend Clair; some great gifts from India that Lubix brought back for Katie and myself; and tickets to see Swan Lake at the Lighthouse theatre in February that Lynsey and I bought for each other, amongst other things. 

'Plop' from The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark
I'm going to make some personal resolutions:
  • to eat less sugar and make sure I do yoga a few mornings a week
  • to be nice but honest
  • to cycle Gertie
  • to work hard at embroidery and accomplishing my dreams
  • to make time for everyone - especially myself
  • to be more thrifty and embrace (more so) the spirit of second-hand
  • to not waste too much food.
...bloody hell...

I hope all you guys had a wonderful Christmas, and I hope that 2012 will be a great year for you, and that the world doesn't end. 
Sweet dreams...
 Nina x

No comments:

Post a Comment